Friday, March 11, 2005

Silly blogger

Haven't been able to post the last couple of days, some problem with blogger.com or else my software, not sure which.

Last night was a little annoying. I was down 8 bucks. Here's a hand I learned something from.

I limp in with KTs with 3-4 others. Flop comes KT9. Top two pair! Yes! But I instantly worry about QJ. A bet and a raise before it gets to me. I know that I should re-raise here to find out where I am. But at the same time I want to disguise my hand so I just flat call. Turn is a blank, check, bet of maybe 2/3 pot, about 5 bucks at this point with 3 of us in. OK, now what do I do? I don't know because I didn't re-raise the flop! I end up calling, because I'm afraid I'm way behind to the straight, but I can't fold. Other guy calls also, so the pot is now very big. River is also a blank, no help, and the guy bets another 5 dollars on the river. Compared to the size of the pot it's not much so I can feel in my bones it's a value bet from the flopped straight. But I have to call, and I do, and of course that's what it is.

I called 5 bucks on the turn and 5 on the river when I was beat. Half a buy-in. Not good.

If I had raised 3 bucks on the flop, I save myself a bunch. If he re-raises obviously I drop it. If he flat calls then I still officially have the momentum, so if he then bets out I know to fold. If he checks it to me on the turn I can check behind or bet small -- and save a bunch either way (let it go if check-raised obviously).

Make the right play!

Lesson: DO NOT THINK YOU ARE TRAPPING SOMEONE WHEN THERE IS AN OBVIOUS BETTER HAND THAN YOURS OUT THERE! YOU ARE ONLY TRAPPING YOURSELF. Sheesh.

Ended up the night down 8 bucks. I had been up before all my good hands started getting busted.

One hand pissed me off at the time. I had AK, raise to $1 preflop from EP or a blind, get 2 calls. $3+ in the pot. Both callers are big stacks who have played well in the past. Flop is Jxx, and I bet out $2.50 or so. One folds, the other re-raises me to 8 bucks. Wow. Well, I pretend to think for a few seconds but I know I'm going to fold. And I do. He shows ATo!!

I had seen this guy make a play like that before and show his cards that time too. I think he's less smart than he thinks he is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home